Voltaire :a very short introduction
- au: Nicholas Cronk.
- Publish: Oxford : Oxford University Press 2017.
- 出版年: 2017
- ver: 1st ed.
- cu: Very
- sb: Voltaire, , Criticism and interpretation. , Voltaire, 1694-1778 Criticism and interpretation.
- ISBN: 0199688354 , 9780199688357
- ps: Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ab: LITERARY STUDIES: C 1500 TO C 1800. Voltaire (1694-1778), best remembered as the author of Candide, is one of the central actors - arguably the defining personality - of the European Enlightenment. In this Very Short Introduction, Nicholas Cronk explores Voltaire's remarkable career and demonstrates how his thinking is pivotal to our notion and understanding of the Enlightenment. In a fresh and modern examination of his writings, Cronk examines the nature of Voltaire's literary celebrity, demonstrating the extent to which his work was reactive and practical, and therefore made sense within the broader context of the debates to which he responded. The most famous living author in Europe in the 18th century, Cronk emphasises Voltaire's skills of 'performance' as a writer and his continued relevance today. He concludes by looking not only at Voltaire's impact in literature and philosophy, but also his influence on French political values and modern French politics.
- ref_id: 000263379
- type: 圖書
- usertag: 需登入
- 引用網址: 複製連結