The study of language
- 作者: George Yule.
- 出版: Cambridge, UK : Cambridge University Press 2017.
- 出版年: 2017
- 版本: 6th ed.
- 標題: Language and languages. , Linguistics.
- ISBN: 1107152992 , 9781107152991
- 附註: Previous edition: 2014 Includes bibliographical references (pages 333-346) and index
- 摘要: "In Charles Darwin's vision of the origins of language, early humans had already developed musical ability prior to language and were using it "to charm each other." This may not match the typical image that most of us have of our early ancestors as rather rough characters wearing animal skins and not very charming, but it is an interesting speculation about how language may have originated. It remains, however, a speculation. We simply don't know how language originated. We do know that the ability to produce sound and simple vocal patterning (a hum versus a grunt, for example) appears to be in an ancient part of the brain that we share with all vertebrates, including fish, frogs, birds and other mammals. But that isn't human language. We suspect that some type of spoken language must have developed between 100,000 and 50,000 years ago, well before written language(about 5,000 years ago). Yet, among the traces of earlier periods of life on earth, we never find any direct evidence or artifacts relating to the speech of our distant ancestors that might tell us how language was backin the early stages. Perhaps because of this absence of direct physical evidence, there has been no shortage of speculation about the origins of human speech"--
- 系統號: 000263317
- 資料類型: 圖書
- 讀者標籤: 需登入
- 引用網址: 複製連結