Custer's trials :a life on the frontier of a New America
- 作者: by T.J. Stiles.
- 出版: New York : Vintage Books 2016.
- 出版年: 2016
- 版本: 1st ed.
- 標題: Little Bighorn, Battle of the, Mont., 1876. , Generals , Custer, George A. , Indians of North America , Frontier and pioneer life Biography. , Indians of North America Wars -- Great Plains. , Wars , United States. Army Biography. , United States , United States History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. , Custer, George A. (George Armstrong), 1839-1876. , United States. , Generals United States -- Biography. , History , Frontier and pioneer life
- ISBN: 0307475948 , 9780307475947
- 附註: Includes bibliographical references (pages 545-552) and index
- 摘要: Historian T.J. Stiles paints a portrait of Custer both deeply personal and sweeping in scope, demonstrating how much of Custer's legacy has been ignored. He refutes Custer's historical caricature, revealing a volatile, contradictory, intense person -- capable yet insecure, intelligent yet bigoted, passionate yet self-destructive, a romantic individualist at odds with the institution of the military (he was court-martialed twice in six years). The key to understanding Custer, Stiles writes, is keepingin mind that he lived on a frontier in time. During Custer's lifetime, Americans saw their world remade. In the Civil War, the West, and many areas overlooked in previous biographies, Custer helped to create modern America, but he could never adapt to it. His admirers saw him as the embodiment of the nation's gallant youth, of all that they were losing; his detractors despised him forresisting a more complex and promising future. He freed countless slaves, yet rejected new civil rights laws. He proved his heroism, but missed the dark reality of war forso many others. Native Americans fascinated him, but he could not see them as fully human. Intimate, dramatic, andprovocative, this biography captures the larger story of the changing nation in Custer's tumultuous marriage to hishighly educated wife, Libbie; their complicated relationship with Eliza Brown, the forceful black woman who ran their household; as well as his battles and expeditions. It casts new light on a near-mythic American figure, a man both widely known and little understood
- 系統號: 000263246
- 資料類型: 圖書
- 讀者標籤: 需登入
- 引用網址: 複製連結