- au: Ottessa Moshfegh.
- Publish: New York : Penguin Books 2016.
- 出版年: 2016
- ver: Trade paperback edition
- sb: Fathers and daughters , Prisons Fiction , Fathers and daughters Fiction , Prisons
- ISBN: 1594206627 , 9781594206627
- ps: Pbk. ed.: 2016.
- ab: Dreaming of life in the city while caring for her alcoholic father and working in a 1960s boys' prison, a disturbed young woman is manipulated into committing a psychologically charged crime during the holiday season , The Christmas season offers little cheer for Eileen Dunlop,an unassuming yet disturbed young woman trapped between her role as her alcoholic fatherâs caretaker in a home whose squalor is the talk of the neighborhood and a day job as a secretary at the boysâ prison, filled with its own quotidian horrors. Consumed by resentment and self-loathing, Eileen tempers her dreary days with perverse fantasies and dreams of escaping to the big city. In the meantime, she fills her nights and weekends with shoplifting, stalking a buff prison guard named Randy, andcleaning up her increasingly deranged fatherâs messes. When the bright, beautiful, and cheery Rebecca Saint John arrives on the scene as the new counselor at Moorehead, Eileen is enchanted and proves unable to resist what appears at first to be a miraculously budding friendship. In a Hitchcockian twist, her affection for Rebecca ultimately pulls her into complicity in a crime that surpasses her wildest imaginings. Played out against the snowy landscape of coastal New England in the days leadingup to Christmas, young Eileenâs story is told from the gimlet-eyed perspective of the now much older narrator. Creepy, mesmerizing, and sublimely funny, in the traditionof Shirley Jackson and early Vladimir Nabokov, this powerful debut novel enthralls and shocks, and introduces one of the most original new voices in contemporary literature. -- Provided by publisher
- ref_id: 000263205
- type: 圖書
- usertag: 需登入
- 引用網址: 複製連結