Othello :authoritative text, textual sources and cultural contexts, criticism
- au: William Shakespeare ; edited by Edward Pechter (Concordia University and University of Victoria).
- Publish: New York ;London : W.W. Norton & Company 2017.
- 出版年: 2017
- ver: 2nd ed.
- cu: Norton
- sb: Interracial marriage Drama , Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. , Jealousy Drama. , Jealousy , Othello (Fictitious character) Drama , Interracial marriage , Muslims , Othello (Fictitious character) , Muslims Drama. , Shakespeare, William,
- ISBN: 039326422X , 9780393264227
- ps: Includes bibliographical references (p.365-400)
- ab: "This book is a substantial revision of the Norton Critical Othello published in 2004. Beginning with a new Preface, it reprints Shakespeare's tragedy based on the First Folio text of 1623, with modified and expanded explanatory notes reflecting recent scholarly and criticaldiscussion. A section on "Textual Sources and Cultural Contexts" includes a translation of the sixteenth-century Italian novella from which Shakespeare took his narrative and main characters, along with the essay on "Othello in its Own Time," considering race and gender among other topics, and newly designed, in conjunction with added images, to highlight the focus on Islam and religious difference in current work on the play. A section on "Criticism" begins with a comprehensive overview of response to Othello from earliest times to the present, followed by a generous selection of exemplary excerpts, with special attention paid to theatrical performance. Thebook ends with suggestions for further study in the form of fifteen annotated bibliographical lists on topics ranging from Renaissance travel writing and romance to movie and video versions of the play."--
- ref_id: 000263185
- type: 圖書
- usertag: 需登入
- 引用網址: 複製連結