The birth of comedy :texts, documents, and art from Athenian comic competitions, 486-280
- 作者: edited by Jeffrey Rusten ; translated by Jeffrey Henderson ... [et al.].
- 出版: Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press 2011.
- 出版年: 2011
- 標題: Greek drama (Comedy) History and criticism. , History and criticism. , Greek drama (Comedy)
- ISBN: 1421421186 , 9781421421186
- 附註: Includes bibliographical references (pages 743-775) and index Proto-comedy : literary and visual evidence for the precursors of comedy in 6th century Greece -- Epicharmus of Sicily -- Festivals, competitions, victory-lists -- Thefirst and second generations (except Cratinus) -- Cratinus-- Eupolis -- Aristophanes -- Phrynichus and Platon -- Other authors ca. 420-390 BCE -- Theater, audience, actors,chorus, and costume of old and middle comedy : texts, statuettes, and paintings (also from outside Athens) -- Scenes from old or middle comedy on 4th-century southern Italian vases -- Anaxandrides, Eubulus, Ephippus -- Antiphanes -- Timocles and nicostratus -- Alexis -- Other authors of middle comedy -- The masks of new comedy in texts and images; actors of new comedy; acting techniques;other developments in staging -- Philemon -- Menander -- Diphilus of Sinope -- Other new comedy authors
- 摘要: "Aside from the well-known plays of Aristophanes, many of the comedies of ancient Greece are known only through fragments and references written in Greek. Now a group of distinguished scholars brings these nearly lost works to modern readers with lively English translations of the surviving texts. The Birth of Comedy brings together a wealth of information on the first three generations of Western comedy. The selection of translations is based on the universally praised scholarly edition in Greek, Poetaecomici Graeci, by R. Kassel and C.A. Austin. Authors are presented in chronological order. Additional chapters contain translations of texts relating to comedy at dramatic festivals, staging, audience, and ancient writerson comedy. The book includes more than forty illustrationsof comic scenes, costumes, and masks. The introduction assesses the fragments' contributions to the political, social, and theatrical history of classical Athens. A glossary of komoidoumenoi -- the ancient word for 'people mentioned in comedies' -- provides background information on the most notorious comic victims. A full index includesnot only authors, play titles, and persons mentioned but themes from the whole Greek comic sphere (including politics, literature and philosophy, celebrities and social scandals, cookery and wine, sex, and wealth). The Birth of Comedy makes accessible for the first time the rich evidence for all aspects of classical Greek comedy."--Jacket
- 系統號: 000263162
- 資料類型: 圖書
- 讀者標籤: 需登入
- 引用網址: 複製連結